Search
Affiliates
free forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Horrible Life & Death of Little Brianna Lopez

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Lizard

Admin
(This is the most recent news article I found to get the thread started. Feel free to add photos, video, whatever. This one is very upsetting.)
Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Court Reinstates Abuse Convictions of Father, Uncle in Baby Brianna Case

By Barry Massey/Associated Press

SANTA FE — The state's highest court has reinstated child abuseconvictions of a Las Cruces father in the 2002 death of hisfive-month-old daughter, Brianna Lopez.

The Supreme Court on Tuesday affirmed convictions of Andy Walters as well as the infant's uncle, Steven Lopez.

The child — known as Baby Brianna — died in July 2002. Her injuriesincluded two skull fractures as well as broken ribs, legs and an arm.She also had been sexually assaulted. She had numerous bruises andhuman bite marks on her face and body.

Public outcry over the case help lead to a change in state law that provides for life imprisonment — a mandatory 30 years in prison — for child abuse resulting in death.

Both men had been convicted of several charges, including child abuse resulting in death and criminal sexual penetration of a minor. Each had been sentenced to more than 50 years in prison.

Their convictions were overturned last year by the Court of Appeals, but the Supreme Court reversed those decisions for all but oneconviction for each man. The Supreme Court agreed with the Appeals Court that convictions of conspiracy to commit intentional child abuse should be tossed out for Walters and Lopez.

In June, the Supreme Court affirmed child abuse convictions of the infant's mother, Stephanie Lopez.
In their statements, Lopez and Walters said they had thrown the baby in the air so forcefully that she hit her head on the ceiling. The court said the statements were important to prosecutors because there was no direct evidence of conspiracy or an agreement between Lopez and Walters to commit child abuse.

http://www.abqjournal.com/news/state/apabuse08-28-07.htm

http://www.areop.com

2 Brianna on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:16 pm

Sappy vid should be watched at the end of the post otherwise you might not be able to read.

There are so many things about this case that hit me.
First, the only photographs ever taken of Brianna were of her after her death. The detective who photographed her after her autopsy put some make up on the baby to cover her bruises, bitemarks, and skull fractures and laid her as if she were sleeping peacefully. These are the only pictures to honor this dead child and they are kept in the homes and offices of complete strangers. People who never knew her until her untimely end.
Also,

Though the community raised thousands of dollars to help the family pay for a funeral and memorial, family members rejected the gesture, and the money. They buried her privately, quickly and quietly in a cemetery excluding even some family members from attending. Shortly thereafter, the dirt mound above the grave was raked flat, and the identification marker was removed.

The marker was later returned. But when people who had never met Brianna repeatedly visited the grave site to leave flowers and honor the child, the family built a locked, metal enclosure around the grave site.
A ceramic, cherubic angel, with its right index finger in front of its lips, tells those who pass by to keep quiet
http://brianna-lopez.last-memories.com/
I actually signed a petition somewhere online many months ago to have the cage over her gravesite removed. It is unkempt and desolate. The only flowers she receives are from strangers and the family will often come out and throw them away. It is as if she were a shame to the family and they just wish to forget her.
Then,
More than just the uncle and father were charged. Many of the family was also charged for never saying anything about the known abuse. This child's whole ENTIRE family said nothing. Not a word.

Damn, can an admin move this I meant to post this as a reply to Lizard's post.

Blue_Zombie

Getting the Hang of This Place for Sure
These people were not human, they were savage beasts who knew only cruelty and hatred. They were heartless unintelligent bastards who deserve to suffer 10 times that of which poor little Brianna suffered. I think this is possibly one of the worst stories I have ever heard. They deserved the death penalty. People who commit crimes against those who are helpless should be executed, end of story. There is no place in this world for people who are capable of this kind of malice.

Lizard

Admin

In this one, there are untouched photos of Brianna and images of her grave.

Omalley

I remember this story. What an atrocity. The whole family deserves more punishment than they're bound to receive in this life. But the mother...the mother is the one (most of all) that I cannot fathom. What the hell is wrong with a woman who doesn't have one shred of love or compassion or protective instinct for her own baby? I'm thinking it must be a chemical thing: this baby was nothing to her; not connected to her at all. But still it must be more than that, because most people would feel caring and protective towards ANY infant whether it was their own baby or not.
That poor sweet baby was a precious gift and her life was nothing but pain. The hope is that some good comes from her suffering.

Lizard

Admin
I agree with you, Omalley, but I also do not understand the family's response after Brianna's death (their response to her burial site). Why would you construct an ugly metal cage over the grave over a little girl who had died so horribly and whose life and death moved so many?

Halo

Oh Lizard I was going to post this one...thanks for posting it.

Brianna's life and death changed me. Reading this one I cried for days, and I'm not exaggerating. I was still much a virgin to these heinous types of murders at the time. Every time I see that video the tears flow again.

The last moments of that baby's life should be inflicted on her murders to be repeated an eternity. She was 5 mo. for Christ sake, 5! I really have trouble wrapping my mind around the depravity that was inflicted on her. I have no doubt there is a special Hell for people steal little lives like Brianna's.

What happened to the sacredness of innocence? I have seen so many precious faces lost to the wickedness of child abuse that it has literally left me ill. This case is one such example.

Littlest angel Brianna, if I could make it right, I would do it in a moment. With my hand on my heart, you sweet child, will never be forgotten.

~Halo halo

Lizard

Admin
Halo wrote:Oh Lizard I was going to post this one...thanks for posting it.

Yes, this is one of those, like Rowan Ford and baby Alijah, that change everything you know about the world. And it's not that cases like these are common...it's that they occur at all. One time seems like way too much.

Halo

Lizard wrote:
Halo wrote:Oh Lizard I was going to post this one...thanks for posting it.

Yes, this is one of those, like Rowan Ford and baby Alijah, that change everything you know about the world. And it's not that cases like these are common...it's that they occur at all. One time seems like way too much.

Exactly. You said it for me.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum