free forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Time Traveler's Wife

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Time Traveler's Wife on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:23 am

Blue_Zombie

Getting the Hang of This Place for Sure
I've owned this book for probably 3 years, but until the movie came out, had never read it. I bit the bullet and finally read it this week. I must say, I hope the movie will be better than the book. Typically I don't like the movie re-makes of novels, but this time, I'm hoping that I'm surprised by the movie.

I think the idea of the book is good, time traveling, a man and woman separated by the man's inability to stay in present time. A love that transcends all, including time travel. I get it. However, the book jumps around so much between time periods, that even if the idea were plausible, the plausibility is lost with the frequency in which the man time travels. Not too mention the drama that the woman has to put up with given the actions of the man while he time travels.

I think the skeleton of the story is good, I just don't feel like any particular event or plot in the book goes into enough depth to make you feel like the book is worth reading. I felt as though it was written very "high level" without enough details to backup the point. To me it read like short stories and not a novel.

Maybe someone else will think differently or have more to offer. Maybe I missed some great point. But really, it's just a love story that isn't written with enough steamy details or enough depth to be really taken seriously.

2 Re: The Time Traveler's Wife on Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:43 pm

Omalley

I liked the book, "The Time Traveler's Wife". But it does jump around a lot. Takes a bit of getting used to. I like the premise of the story.
I didn't know a movie was made of the book. Must've been hard to do.

3 Re: The Time Traveler's Wife on Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:03 pm

Blue_Zombie

Yup, out in theatres now starring Rachel McAdams. Smile Check your local listings. LOL

4 Re: The Time Traveler's Wife on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:04 pm

Kitty

Pretty Much Settled in
Pretty Much Settled in
According to my hyper-critical middle child and my never goes to the movies FIL (they went seperately) The movie was very Very good, though I don't think either of them have read the book.

5 Re: The Time Traveler's Wife on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:01 am

Kitty

Pretty Much Settled in
Pretty Much Settled in
I managed to finish the book, to the detriment of my studies. Overall, not bad.. I'm not sure if I even want to see the movie though.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum