Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Otty Sanchez decapitates and mutilates her baby boy.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Halo

Getting the Hang of This Place for Sure
How could a mother eat her own baby?

As news of the 33-year-old Texas woman who murdered her infant son and
then ate bits of his brain and a few toes zips around the Internet, our
morbid curiosity grows. The story of Otty Sanchez taps deep veins,
unfolding like a Greek tragedy: A new mother breaks with her lover
three weeks after giving birth to their child. Insane with grief, she
hears voices telling her to kill her baby -- the fruit of their union.
After murdering the infant, she begins to consume him, returning him to
the body from whence he so recently came. In a moment of clarity she
sees what she has done. Horrified, she tries to take her own life,
stabbing herself in the heart and slitting her own throat.
[...]
Our literature profs would have us list the sweeping, irresistible
themes: love, abandonment, insanity, infanticide, cannibalism,
religion, an epic battle between the forces of good and evil ("He made
me do it," Sanchez allegedly wailed in the aftermath, referring to the
devil), divine retribution.
[...]
Both Sanchez (mom) and Scott Buchholz (dad) have schizophrenia. Sanchez
was off her drugs. She was in counseling for postpartum depression --
but there were signs that it was worsening. Sanchez and Buchholz
separated when the baby was 3 weeks old. Sanchez came by Buchholz’s
house a few days later and "stormed out" when Buchholz demanded a copy
of the birth certificate. Buchholz called the police when Sanchez put
the baby’s car seat in the front, neglected to strap him in, and sped
off. The police followed up in a lackadaisical manner. Sanchez,
possibly experiencing the onset of a psychotic break, sought help in a
local hospital emergency room but was released in less than 24 hours
and sent home to care for her newborn. Sanchez heard voices. The voices
told her to kill the baby. She gave the baby to her sister, who shares
the house with her; she did not want the child near her. Then, when
Sanchez finally seemed calm, the sister returned the baby to her.
Sanchez killed the baby, tried to kill herself, but did not succeed.

This case left me so utterly devastated that I took sometime away from dead baby stories. I know this case deals with mental illness and that alone, we are dealing with a vicious beast. Still, the act is so heinous, so horrific, it left me disillusioned about humanity and what great evils we are capable of.

Baby Scotty, the angel she killed.

Source.

Kitty

Pretty Much Settled in
Pretty Much Settled in
I remember listening to the 911 call in awestruck horror.. I can not imagine the nightmares for that family.

LexDev

I've not too familiar with Schizophrenia, but I didn't think they were violent towards others? At least not like this case?

She tried so hard to protect her son from herself, with the hospital visit and giving him to her sister...I can't begin to imagine the guilt she must feel (if she's medicated?)
Did no one, her family, the pediatrician, CPS anybody think to check up on the mother and child?

Halo

LexDev wrote:I've not too familiar with Schizophrenia, but I didn't think they were violent towards others? At least not like this case?

She tried so hard to protect her son from herself, with the hospital visit and giving him to her sister...I can't begin to imagine the guilt she must feel (if she's medicated?)
Did no one, her family, the pediatrician, CPS anybody think to check up on the mother and child?

Her history is muddled....
A family member said Sanchez had been undergoing psychiatric treatment and that a hospital called looking for her several months ago. Gloria Sanchez, Otty's aunt, said her niece had been "in and out of a psychiatric ward."
... Manuela Sanchez told police she suspected Otty was into drugs and specifically told police she wasn't suffering from any mental issues.

Buchholz, who is himself schizophrenic and takes six anti-psychotic and anti-convulsive medications, said Otty had postpartum depression and had been going to regular counseling sessions after the birth, but refused to take prescription medication for her depression. Still, he said she seemed fine.

"She seemed like a a very caring, loving mother. She held him, she breast-fed him. She did everything for him that was nice," he said.
[...]
On July 20, Sanchez was taken to the hospital for depression and released less than a day later, Buchholz said. Sanchez told him that she was schizophrenic and was going to live with her parents and sister. Sanchez was arrested at her mother's house, where police found her and the dead infant.

It does not look like CPS was called in at anytime. The incident just prior to the heinous death of baby Scott, she had taken off in a rage upset over an altercation with her ex. He called police concerned about baby boy. He however failed to mention any concerns about her mental health or emotional state. I'm thinking with the schizophrenia and possible, (IMO), she had post-partum psychosis, she had a mental break down. I think the husband really screwed up in not mentioning her mental state. Things may have turned out differently....just maybe, baby Scott would be alive today.

The deputy took a report but could do little else, said Bexar County Sheriff Chief Deputy Dale Bennett.

"If this guy had given us an indication that she had postpartum depression, or mental defects she was suffering from, we may have addressed it differently," he said.

Women with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are at particularly high risk for developing postpartum psychosis.

For women with schizophrenia who are not taking medication, the risk of developing psychosis is 50 percent or higher...

Source.

Kitty

Pretty Much Settled in
Pretty Much Settled in
Women with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are at particularly high risk for developing postpartum psychosis.

For women with schizophrenia who are not taking medication, the risk of developing psychosis is 50 percent or higher...

And what it doesn't say is that most schizophrenic women stop taking their meds when they discover they are pregnant. It's all down hill from there sadly.

LexDev

Wow, Thanks for that. I had no idea...

I don't understand, if her family AND the people at the hospital knew she had schizophrenia why no one would have helped her? I feel even more sorry for her...

Oh, and I agree with you about her husband...wow!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum