Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jaycee Dugard, missing for 18 years, found alive (and well)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Mare

Pretty Much Settled in
Pretty Much Settled in
First topic message reminder :

CNN Article
A girl abducted in 1991 as an 11-year-old has been found alive in California, the El Dorado County sheriff's office said Thursday.

Jaycee Dugard is in good health, the office said in a statement, but provided no details.

Jimmy Lee, a spokesman for the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Department, confirmed that a man and a woman have been arrested in connection with the case but could provide no other details. CNN affiliates have reported that Phillip Garrido, 58, and his wife, Nancy Garrido, have been charged.

Phillip Garrido is a registered sex offender and listed on the Department of Justice's Megan's Law page because of a previous forcible rape charge.

An officer at the Contra Costa County Jail in Marinez, California, told CNN that the two had been at the jail and both were ordered held on $1 million bail. The officer said the pair was no longer in the jail but that Phillip Garrido had been booked on charges of kidnapping, rape, lewd behavior, sexual penetration and conspiracy. Nancy Garrido was booked on charges of kidnapping and conspiracy.

Earlier Thursday, Carl Probyn, Dugard's stepfather, told CNN that an FBI agent had called his wife, Terry, on Wednesday afternoon to tell her that Dugard had been found.

The girl was last seen walking to her bus stop in South Lake Tahoe, California, on June 10, 1991, according to the FBI.

At the time, "it was reported that a vehicle occupied by two individuals drove up to Jaycee Dugard and abducted her in view of her stepfather," the El Dorado County sheriff's office said Thursday.

Despite extensive investigations, no sign of her or her possible abductors was ever found, authorities said.

Probyn said Dugard walked into a police station in Northern California earlier Wednesday. He said the FBI agent told his wife that authorities had "Jaycee and the people who she was with."

He said no further details were provided, and that the conversation with the FBI agent was brief.

"It was short and sweet, and 'Can you fly up here?'" he said.

The El Dorado County Sheriff's office has scheduled a news conference for 3 p.m. (6 p.m. ET) to discuss the case.

Probyn said his wife, who is flying Thursday from Southern California to meet with Dugard, spoke to her on Wednesday.

"Jaycee remembers everything," he said. "They talked back and forth and she had the right answers to all my wife's questions."

He said, "I'm feeling great! ... It's like winning the lotto."

Ernie Allen, president of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, said the reappearance of Dugard is "absolutely huge."

"One of the things that we preach to searching families all the time ... is that even in these long-term cases there's hope," he said.

"Even in these long-term cases ... it's important that we not let the world forget."
She was kidnapped when she was 11. Did she try running away? Was she raped is that why the man is being charged with rape?

Angel

Getting the Hang of This Place for Sure
LoCK wrote:

You're giving them the benefit of a doubt. I won't. I think most are just looking at the 'won - lost' column and are willing to do anything for a win. After all, a win = prestige and increased fees.

In the case of defense attorneys, I would tend to agree with you about the win/loss ratio. I would think that wouldn't apply to the judges though. How do they tally their win/loss ratio? You would think that for the judge (involved in this case, at least) this decision would have to qualify as a definite "loss" even if it took him almost a score of years to realize it. The attorney for Garrido may simply have been looking at his win/loss record, but I believe the judge's actions demonstrate the "willful stupidity" I referenced earlier.

I also agree with your assessment of the nature of the attorney's job description. The constitution has been so thoroughly mis-interpreted in the last few decades, that most of the tenets put forth at the time of its inception, have now been perverted to such a degree as to completely nullify the original meaning. What were originally intended as standards of fairness, and protections for "the people", have now become nothing more than excuses for the dregs of society to continue preying on the law abiding citizens, with impunity. There are so many crimes these days that have been classified as 'illnesses', that our basic system of laws to defend the citizenry have become nothing more than pejorative philosophies. Attorneys who take advantage of the archaic wording of the constitution, in order to interpret it to their advantage, are just as criminal as the criminals they defend, in my opinion.

I'll jump down off of my soapbox now, and turn the floor over to someone else. I would like to know, though - just to satisfy my own curiosity - how many here believe that classifying a crime as an 'illness' should give the perpetrator of such a crime some sort of special dispensation from punishment?

Example: A man rapes (women or children), but he was himself abused, molested, or raped as a child. He wants to use that fact as evidence of PTSD, or some other form of mental illness, in order to mitigate his actions and be exonerated, or get a reduced sentence. According to attorneys, this should be not only allowed, but praised as a 'fair' defense. Do you agree, or disagree, and why.

(Sorry, Lizard, I'm not trying to start a row here, and I have no idea how many liberals vs. conservatives we have in the mix here; but I am interested in the response. You already know how I feel about it, as do many others who came from DD - and I am willing to restate my opinion here, as well. But I would like to hear the honest opinions from others on this site, before giving my opinion, and the reasoning behind it - which you also know.)

LoCK

Learning My Way Around
Learning My Way Around
Angel I was referring to attorneys not judges with the win/loss mentality.

A man rapes (women or children), but he was himself abused, molested,
or raped as a child. He wants to use that fact as evidence of PTSD, or
some other form of mental illness, in order to mitigate his actions and
be exonerated, or get a reduced sentence.

As long as we breathe air and have a heartbeat we're going to encounter difficulties - some of which are unfair, reprehensible and possibly even criminal.

Beat a puppy and chances are the pup will grow to be aggressive and unsafe around other animals. The dog acts on instinct - the dog has no intellect and no free will. Humans are different or are supposed to be.

As long as humans have intellect we have a capacity to know right from wrong - especially if we've been 'wronged'.

Past experiences do not mitigate crimes committed by sane adults in my book if we use our free will to consciously inflict a wrong on someone else.

I consider myself liberal but I don't take that to mean that being liberal means having an anything goes mentality.

These two deviants did wrong. They've both displayed an ability to concoct and execute a vile plan. They've displayed an ability to play the system to their advantage.

To turn a phrase, they coulda been somebody - instead of bums - which is what they are. They need to pay.

LexDev

LoCK wrote:Angel I was referring to attorneys not judges with the win/loss mentality.

A man rapes (women or children), but he was himself abused, molested,
or raped as a child. He wants to use that fact as evidence of PTSD, or
some other form of mental illness, in order to mitigate his actions and
be exonerated, or get a reduced sentence.

As long as we breathe air and have a heartbeat we're going to encounter difficulties - some of which are unfair, reprehensible and possibly even criminal.

Beat a puppy and chances are the pup will grow to be aggressive and unsafe around other animals. The dog acts on instinct - the dog has no intellect and no free will. Humans are different or are supposed to be.

As long as humans have intellect we have a capacity to know right from wrong - especially if we've been 'wronged'.

Past experiences do not mitigate crimes committed by sane adults in my book if we use our free will to consciously inflict a wrong on someone else.

I consider myself liberal but I don't take that to mean that being liberal means having an anything goes mentality.

These two deviants did wrong. They've both displayed an ability to concoct and execute a vile plan. They've displayed an ability to play the system to their advantage.

To turn a phrase, they coulda been somebody - instead of bums - which is what they are. They need to pay.

Have you seen the nature vs nurture thread started by Lizard? I think this might be a compelling argument over there...

And personally, I agree with most of what you wrote.

Lizard

Admin
Angel wrote:I would like to know, though - just to satisfy my own curiosity - how many here believe that classifying a crime as an 'illness' should give the perpetrator of such a crime some sort of special dispensation from punishment?
(Sorry, Lizard, I'm not trying to start a row here, and I have no idea how many liberals vs. conservatives we have in the mix here; but I am interested in the response. You already know how I feel about it, as do many others who came from DD - and I am willing to restate my opinion here, as well. But I would like to hear the honest opinions from others on this site, before giving my opinion, and the reasoning behind it - which you also know.)

There's a difference, in my mind, of "classifying" someone as having an illness vs. identifying some biological/chemical dysfunction or defect that has a major bearing on behavior (e.g., see the psychopath thread) AND determining that Criminal X has that dysfunction or defect. When we reach the point that we can make said identification and determination, there will have to be serious debate about what we, as a society, do with them. Best case scenario is that they can be "cured" or "fixed," but what about punishment for crimes they committed before they were "fixed"? And if they can't be fixed, we sure as hell don't want them roaming freely among us.

Throwing some words from the DSM around doesn't count as illness to me.

And when the hell did I ever care about rows getting started? Isn't that kind of why we are here??? Take off your fucking shoes and get comfortable already, Angel! Twisted Evil

http://www.areop.com

NurseRonda

Learning My Way Around
Learning My Way Around
Angel wrote:
theskyisfalling wrote:The article that Kitty linked says that she had two girls from him. They were delivered in the backyard. I wonder if he was depraved enough to molest them too.

I'd be willing to bet that he did. After all, Jaycee was only 11 herself when Garrido kidnapped her. Obviously he likes them young, and Jaycee is 29 now. Probably too old for his liking. You also need to consider that since he never took Jaycee to a doctor, then she was probably not on birth control. She had her first child at age 14, and her second at 18. None after that. Why would that be, if he was still raping her? She was in the prime of her childbearing years, and if she was still having unprotected sex on a regular basis, then odds are that she would have had more kids. The fact that she didn't leads me to believe that he lost interest in her when she got 'too old'. The only younger girls to turn to would have been HER daughters. I'm just surprised that neither of them have any children by him. I certainly hope that he gets all that he deserves in prison....and then some. Sick SOB.
Angel, I understand exactly what you are saying, but let me give you another thought to think about. Just maybe he didn't want any more kids by her to have to hide and that bitch of a wife of his went and got birth control pills for Jaycee, or maybe it was not easy for her to get pregnant.
It would be my guess that he continuosly raped her all the time he had her. What the one neighbor said about guys in the tent giving high fives leads me to believe that those guys were taking turns raping the daughters and Jaycee while the idiot who took her watched. I sure hope not, but that thought makes me shiver.

Halo

Thanks Kitty for he slide show link. They had this poor child living in a tent all this time?? I do not even want to imagine what she must have gone through, especially the first weeks.

I was this same age, give or take a year, when I was taken from a man on a motorcycle. Also right in front of my home. I lived in the desert at that time, middle of nowhere. He stopped to ask directions or something and then asked if I wanted a ride on his bike. Nieves as I was I said yes, and there we were going off to God knows where. He stopped the bike and wanted to ask me if I wanted to go live with him, that I'd be his girlfriend and yeah, people would think it strange at first but things would be OK. I'm guessing he was in his mid to late twenties, hard to say for sure.

I got to tell you a part of me wanted to leave as I hated my home life and see how no one even knew I was gone...says a lot on how I felt around there most times. Invisible.
Anyhow, as he was talking to me, I began crying, thinking of the only life I knew, and as much as I was unhappy, I wanted it back. I cried to go home, asking for my mother. He just stared at me and I thought he might leave me there in the desert. Some time passed, then, suddenly, he turned the motorcycle on and headed back. He dropped me off down the road from where I lived. Before he let me go, he kissed me and said I was beautiful and that I should be his. I got off that bike, fell, picked myself up and ran as fast as I could He just sat there for some time watching me run....thinking I guess.

To this day, I have never told anyone in my family. I guess I figured no one would believe me back then. I always wondered why he let me go, what he would have done. Would I have lived. Of course today, I know those answers.

Last edited by Halo on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Halo

I hope Jaycee has not been too damaged, too far gone that she can't enjoy the rest of her life. I pray on that. She deserves a new lifetime.

Lizard

Admin
Halo wrote:I was this same age, give or take a year, when I was taken from a man on a motorcycle.

Holy SHIT, Halo!

http://www.areop.com

Halo

Yeah, I know Liz, felt good to put that down. You have no idea how long I've kept that a secret...uuh, wait, yes you do now that I've put it down.

Sometimes it seems like a nightmare and nothing more.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum