Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Baby Benjamin's death..."brutal and heinous . . . indicative of wanton cruelty".

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Halo

Getting the Hang of This Place for Sure
I remember reading everything I could find on this case, desperate to understand how two "human beings", could simply chose to ignore and let die a 5 month old baby. I cried for him as I held my own baby boy who was born only 4 days prior to Benjamin.

Baby Benjamin had been left in that car seat for over 8 days and eventually succumbed to starvation and dehydration. His donors, Tracey Herman and James Sargent, listened to their baby cry for days and ignored him. What kind of monsters can do this? Most parents can barely stand to allow their 5 month old baby to cry for 10 minutes and these bastards allowed Benjamin to cry for days.

Benjamin weighed 10 pounds when he passed, 2 pounds more than he weighed at birth. This leaves me to conclude that this was not the first time Benjamin had gone without food. There are conflicting reports of exactly how the last 8 days of Benjamin’s life unfolded. Some reports state that he was found exactly how he was left by his grandmother when she dropped him on Feb. 4th, 2008. However, the grandmother, Rosemary Sargent, claimed she dropped Benjamin off after taking him shopping, but only after she changed him and put him in his crib. Accounts from a man staying in the garage of the home state that he noticed Benjamin was still strapped into the carseat wearing a snowsuit in the middle of the living room. He claims he found this odd and then placed the carseat, with Benjamin inside, in the crib. Something doesn’t add up, but what we do know for sure is that the result was little Benjamin’s death.

The full truth of Benjamin’s last days is likely to never be known, but we do know this. The signs of neglect were ignored and this precious baby paid the ultimate price.

In his last days, baby Benjamin sat in his own waste, starving, dehydrated and scared beyond any recognition that anyone of us can imagine. On the eighth day, his lifeless body was found dead. He's eyes were open, staring straight ahead, with his fist clenched. It is so very difficult to think of the fear, loneliness and physical anguish this child felt in his final days; feeling unloved, feeling unworthy of the smallest amount of affection or care.

Benjamin, I know in the heavens you are treasured and loved in the way you always deserved. You will not be forgotten little one.

Halo

Prosecutors are calling it a horrific case of child abuse.

Today they charged the parents of a 5-month-old Peoria boy with first-degree murder. 21-year-old Tracey Hermann and 23-year-old James Sargent are accused of gross neglect and starvation of their baby. Last week Sargent called 9-1-1 from the family's Proctor Street home in Peoria. When rescue personnel arrived they found the baby unresponsive seated in a car seat placed inside a crib. Investigators now believe the child had been strapped in the car seat without food or water for eight days.

States Attorney Kevin Lyons said the room was about 80 degrees when the baby was fgound. The boy was wearing a snowsuit and held in the car seat by a rope. He said there are times "when crying yourself to sleep no longer works, and you cry yourself to death." Tracey Hermann has another child, a three year old girl. The state is moving to have that child permanently removed from Hermann. Because of the age of the Benjamin Sargent, both James Sargent and Tracey Hermann, are eligible for the death penalty if convicted. Lyons has 120 days from the time Sargent and Hermann are indicted to make that decision.

Here is a copy of Peoria County States Attorney Kevin Lyon's statement to the court: On February 12, 2008, Peoria Police responded to a call at 3012 W. Proctor Street in Peoria. Found dead and strapped in a car seat that had been placed in a crib was 5-month-old Benjamin Sargent. The defendants are his parents. Benjamin was wearing a blue snow suit. It was zipped up. The temperature in the room was near 80 degrees.Benjamin's eyes were open, his hands were clenched in a fistlike position and, although dead, his eyes were staring straight ahead. Police investigation and medical and pahtological examination would reveal that Benjamin had been strapped into this car seat and had not left it in eight days. All waste and urine had collected beneath him and his buttocks, legs and back were eaten into by the resulting poison. Some aste left in benjamin's colon revealed resulted in constipation because it could not be pushed out of his body due to starvation.

James Sargent was present at the house and, when interviewed on that day, and again on February 18, his answers to questions confirmed for police that Benjamin had been returned to the residence on february 4, 2008, by a grandmother and he was in the same car seat, wearing the same snow suit, and confined in the same manner as when he was found dead eight days later. A person who 'stayed' with others in the garage of the defendants told police that he was the one who observed Benjamin in the car seat, and on the living room floor, and that it was he who found this odd and so, he placed the child (while in the car seat) in a baby crib in a bedroom. The house was kept in an outrageous condition with nothing in its place, food left out and spoiled, and belongings scattered everywhere. Clothing, articles, spoilage, and debris were stacked everywhere around the house.

James Sargent told police he "thought" he had maybe moved Benjamin once or twice during the eight-day period but, upon further questioning, he conceded that he may not have been moved at all. The person from the garage tells police that Benjamin was found just as he had left him eight days earlier. The 'mother' was in Iowa, where she had gone to see a male boyfriend she found over the internet. She told police that caring for her baby Benjamin was not her duty and that it was James' responsibility. Before heading to Iowa on the day before Benjamin was found dead, Tracy Hermann said she looked at the baby in the crib and presumed he was sleeping so she said she stuck a bottle between the baby and the side of the carseat so that he woke up he could grab it and feed himself if he was hungry. In case the court missed it earlier, Benjamin Sargent was five months old. Tracy Hermann also has a daughter, almost 3, who Tracy Hermann seems to have 'given away' to a family member.

A shelter care hearing on that matter now pends in the circuit court because I am also seeking to remove her permanently and forever from any contact with Tracy Hermann. Preliminary examination of Benjamin Sargent's body showed that he weighed 10 pounds, suffered from sepsis in the blood and tissue, was without proper liquid and food and that he died from starvation due to neglect by the two defendants who stand before you, Tracey D. Hermann and James E. Sargent.
Source.

Halo

Grandmother Speaks.
Rosemary Sargent says she dropped the child off on February 4th. And although rescue crews found the baby in his car seat wearing the snowsuit she had just bought him, when she left the child, he was asleep in the crib wearing clothes and under a blanket.

Sargent says fighting between her son and Benjamin's mother had gotten bad lately, but it seemed like they were still taking care of their baby boy.

"I'm just taking it one day at a time...sometimes one minute at a time."

You can read the grief in her eyes...a grandmother who's lost her only grandchild.
Rosemary Sargent talked to News 25's Kelli Watson Friday after she picked up flower arrangements left over from 5–month–old Benjamin Sargent's funeral. She says she bought Benjamin the final outfit prosecutors say he was left to die in.

James Sargent, male donor sentenced for 100 years.

PEORIA, Illinois (Reuters) – The father of a starved 5-month-old U.S. boy who died after his skin was eaten away by bacteria from a soiled diaper was sentenced in Illinois on Thursday to 100 years in prison for neglect.
"I don't believe that someone who would let a 5-month-old rot to death deserves" an explanation for the harsh sentence, Peoria County Circuit Judge James Shadid said in ordering James Sargent to prison.
Sargent, 24, read a 15-page statement in court about society's impending demise without mentioning his son, Benjamin, whose body was found by authorities in February 2008. Sargent was convicted in April of murder in the boy's death.
The baby's last meal likely came three to four days before his death from bacteria that had dissolved part of his skin and seeped into his body.
Sargent's defense attorney argued that he suffered from mental illness that led him to seal himself off from reality and withdraw into a character from "The Lord of the Rings," the J.R.R Tolkien fantasy.
The boy's mother, Tracy Hermann, who left with her boyfriend days before the death, goes on trial on neglect charges in October.

Last edited by Halo on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

Halo

Tracey Hermann, female donor, gets 50 years in prison.

PEORIA, Ill. -- A Peoria County judge has handed down a 50-year sentence to a 22-year-old mother for neglecting her infant son, who died from an infection brought on by a nearly week-old dirty diaper.

The defendant sentenced Monday, Tracy Hermann, was convicted of first-degree murder in the February 2008 death of 5-month-old Benjamin Sargent.

In June, Judge James Shadid sentenced the baby's father, 24-year-old James Sargent, to the maximum sentence of 100 years.

Halo

Benjamin was born Aug. 27, 2007, to James E. Sargent and Tracy Del Hermann of Peoria. Sister to, Natalie-Grace Hermann.

Natalie, thankfully was removed immediately from the Sargent/Hermann home upon the discovery of Benjamin's death. It has been said that Hermann never wanted little Natalie as was the same with Benjamin. Natalie was often not at home but with a relative. In the wake of his murder, left behind is a little sister who only had a brief time with baby Benjamin. She will likely know one day the truth about her brother's death and how her life came to be as it its today. She too is a victim brought into the world neglected and unloved.

My prayers are always for the dead, baby Benjamin Allen Reeve Sargent, and for the living, his little sister, Natalie-Grace Hermann, that they are at peace in their own place and time.

The innocent, the precious...the light of life.

Omalley

I will never forget this story. Absolutely devastating. I really wish those two "parents" had been sentenced to death. They don't deserve to be clean & comfortable, eating 3 squares a day. I can only hope they're in with the general population and that every day is full of fear for their lives. It's too much to hope that they actually feel any regret.

Hippie

Admin
Wow. I too remember this story. Shit I am bawling so hard. I am without words at the moment for I can only see this child crying, begging, pleading for love that it never received. I am so angry. Halo bless you for the pictures of this little angel. Sad

TACO

Pretty Much Settled in
Pretty Much Settled in
I hade never heard about this case until reading this posting. I do not understand why people like those "parents" are able to have kids. I know some great people that can not have children on there own but would be loving, caring, nurting parents. When it comes to evil people like the "parents" of this little angel, I say an eye for an eye & a tooth for a tooth. What ever they did to that angel the law should do 100 times worse to them. And yes it made me shed a tear. Thanks for the story Halo. And last but not least I hope the "parents" BURN IN HELL for all eternity!

AlwaysInFlyoverCountry

T-Bob, one of the reasons I don't spend as much time at TOS as I used to is I was burning out.

--Alf

TACO

Pretty Much Settled in
Pretty Much Settled in
AlwaysInFlyoverCountry wrote:T-Bob, one of the reasons I don't spend as much time at TOS as I used to is I was burning out.

--Alf
I usaully do not read this section, but for some reason I did. It hurt me to read it. It makes me sad, to know that there are more animals like these two idiots. I can not take this crime towards children. It just...lets leave at that, I really hate adults who hurt children! Those that hurt the children deserve to BURN IN HELL for all ETERNITY!

Lizard

Admin
Thanks for the update, Halo.

T-Bob, this is one of those handfuls of cases that once you hear about them, you can't let it go. Ones like this one, they will always weigh heavy on your heart. We've posted a few others here.

http://www.areop.com

Halo

T-Bob wrote:I hade never heard about this case until reading this posting. I do not understand why people like those "parents" are able to have kids. I know some great people that can not have children on there own but would be loving, caring, nurting parents. When it comes to evil people like the "parents" of this little angel, I say an eye for an eye & a tooth for a tooth. What ever they did to that angel the law should do 100 times worse to them. And yes it made me shed a tear. Thanks for the story Halo. And last but not least I hope the "parents" BURN IN HELL for all eternity!
Sorry that you've never heard of this case until now.I can promise you will never be the same after reading cases like this....sorry for that too.

Halo

I don't agree with the female donor, Tracey Hermann only receiving 50 years. She should have received the same 100 years as the male donor did. Perhaps I'm judging her as a failure as a "mother", as she did so miserably. I see it as a insult, blasphemy against motherhood. Punishment for her should be stern and miserable.

At least at 50 years her reproductive organs will be out of commission. That I give thanks for. She deserves nothing inside of her worthy of creating life.

Tracey Hermann, may your last days on earth be riddled with misery, anguished, alone and unloved.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum