Affiliates
free forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Scream

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Scream on Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:49 pm

Hippie

Admin

The Scream, easily one of the most recognized paintings. An absolute masterpiece. The painter of this piece of art? Edvard Munch, who was born on this day in Ådalsbruk, Norway, in 1863.

His inspiration for this artwork? Possibly the eruption of the volcano Krakatoa, in Indonesia. He said, "I was walking along the road with two friends. The sun set. I felt a tinge of melancholy. Suddenly the sky became a bloody red. I stopped, leaned against the railing, dead tired, and I looked at the flaming clouds that hung like blood and a sword over the blue-black fjord and the city. My friends walked on. I stood there, trembling with fright. And I felt a loud, unending scream piercing nature." The next year Munch painted what would be several versions of "The Scream."

Edvard came from an educated family. His father, Christian was a doctor and medical officer. His mother was an artist. Edvard had four other siblings two which, like him, inherited their artistic talent from their mother.

Edvard's mother died of TB and the children were raised by their father and an aunt. Melancholy, the boy was often ill and unable to attend school so in his free time he took to painting. By the time Munch was a teenager art dominated his life.

In 1879 Munch attended a technical college. The following year, much to the dismay of his father, Edvard quit school to become a painter. In 1881 Munch enrolled at the Royal School of Art and Design of Kristiania. In 1883 he had his first public showing of his art. Munich was often criticized for his paintings from people who thought them too controversial. He said once after a showing, "Never have I had such an amusing time—it’s incredible that something as innocent as painting should have created such a stir."

Of course one of his most famous paintings is depicted here. "The Scream." Over the years Edvard painted many masterpieces and died in 1944. He was 80 years old.

Below is a few other favorite pieces of mine from Edvard Munch.

The Dance on the Shore

The Kiss

The Lübeck

Winter Landscape Near Krageroe

Sources: Wiki, Edvard Munch site, and The Writer's Almanac

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum