Affiliates
free forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Important Events in Literary History

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Important Events in Literary History on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Hippie

Admin
On this day in 1732 Benjamin Franklin began publishing "Poor Richard's Almanack."
The book was an absolute smorgasbord of miscellany information. Next to the bible it was the number one book people in Colonial America owned.

In 1776 Thomas Paine publishes one of a series of pamphlets in the Pennsylvania Journal titled "The American Crisis."

The first issue of the Ohio newspaper, "The Blade", is published today in 1835. The Toledo Blade was named for the famed swordsmithing industry of the original city of Toledo, Spain.

Today on this day a very famous book was published in 1843. The book was "The Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens, an English writer.

In the year 1848 English writer Emily Bronte dies on this day at the young age of 30 from complications of tuberculosis.

It is the birthday of Dr. Carter G. Wilson. He was born in 1875 in New Canton, Virginia, the son of a former slave. Dr. Wilson was an historian and journalist, known as "The Father of Black History."

It is the birthday of the Reverend Martin Luther King Sr. Born in Stockbridge, Georgia in 1899. He was a pastor and civil rights leader and the father of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Dr. King Sr. led the Atlanta NAACP Chapter.

V.C. Andrews, American novelist, dies on this day in 1986 of breast cancer. She became famous when she published her science fiction novel, "Flowers in the Attic."

Information Sources: The Writer's Almanac and Wikipedia

2 On This Day December 21st on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:11 pm

Hippie

Admin
"In the northern hemisphere, today is the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year and the longest night. It's officially the first day of winter. It's officially the first day of winter and one of the oldest known holidays in human history. Anthropologists believe that solstice celebrations go back at least 30,000 years, before humans even began farming on a large scale. Many of the most ancient stone structures made by human beings were designed to pinpoint the precise date of the solstice. The stone circles of Stonehenge were arranged to receive the first rays of midwinter sun." ~ The Writer's Almanac

On this date in 1872 Albert Payson Terhune is born in Newark, New Jersey. An author and dog breeder, he is known best for his novels detailing the events of his beloved collies and as a breeder of collies at his "Sunnybank Kennels."

Today on this day in 1913, Arthur Wynne publishes the first crossword puzzle in "New York World"

Heinrich Böll a German post WWII writer was born on this day in Cologne, German Empire, in 1917. He won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1972.

Emmy Award winning media personality and writer, Phil Donahue, was born on this day in Cleveland, Ohio in 1935. He is famous for the first tabloid talk show, "The Phil Donahue Show" which had a 26 year long run, ending in 1996.

On this day in 1940, F. Scott Fitzgerald, a writer of the Jazz Age, a term he coined himself, died of a massive heart attack in Hollywood, California.

3 On This Day December 27th on Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:24 am

Hippie

Admin

A 1657 petition called the "Flushing Remonstrance," was signed on this day. It is considered a precursor to the United States Constitution's provision on freedom of religion in the Bill of Rights.

In 1797 classical Urdu and Persian poet, Mirza Ghalib, was born. He is considered, in South Asia, to be the one of the most popular and influential poets of the Urdu language.

It was on this day in 1831 that Charles Darwin set sail from England on the HMS beagle to begin his fantastic journey that would take him to the Galapagos Islands. He then
formulates the theory of evolution.

Louis Bromfield was born on this date in 1896. He was an American author and conservationist who gained international recognition winning the Pulitzer Prize and pioneering innovative scientific farming concepts.

Charles Olson, poet, was born on this day in 1910. He was an advocate for poetry without meter or rhyme. His manifesto, "Projective Verse," was about the kinds of poetry he believed poets should be writing.

In 1930 Wilfrid Sheed was born. A novelist and essayist, he wrote several satirical novels about the business of journalism.

Greg Mortenson, mountain climber and author was born today in 1957. He is the co-author and subject of the famous book, "Three Cups of Tea" about Mortenson's quest and success in building schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Sarah Vowell, humorist, essayist and contributor to more than three dozen episodes of, "This American Life", was born today in 1969. Her essay collection "Take the Cannoli: Stories from the New World", sounds absolutely
like a must to read, for it begins with a piece called "Shooting Dad," which has this fantastic start: "If you were passing by the house where I grew up during my teenage years and it happened to be before Election Day, you wouldn't have needed to come inside to see that it was a house divided. You could have looked at the Democratic campaign poster in the upstairs window and the Republican one in the downstairs window and seen our home for the Civil War battleground it was. I'm not saying who was the Democrat or who was the Republican — my father or I — but I will tell you that I have never subscribed to Guns & Ammo, that I did not plaster the family vehicle with National Rifle Association stickers, and that hunter's orange was never my color."

4 On This Day December 28th on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Hippie

Admin

On this date in 1065, Westminster Abbey was consecrated. One section of Westminster Abbey is known as the Poets' Corner. The first poet buried there was Geoffrey Chaucer in 1400.

Woodrow Wilson, 28th President of the United States was born on this date in 1856. His career started as a professor, then he became governor of New Jersey, and then on to the office of the President.

In 1897, "Cyrano de Bergerac," premiered at the Théâtre de la Porte Saint-Martin in Paris, France. It was written by Edmond Rostand and based loosely on the life of playwright, Savien de Cyrano de Bergerac, who lived in the 17th century.

Famous Brazilian poet, Olavo Bilac, dies on this date in 1918 with his last words being quoted by a newspaper as, "Give me coffee! I'm going to write!"

Born on this day in 1922 is American comic book writer, editor and former president of Marvel Comics, Stan Lee.

On this date in 1927 novelist Simon Raven was born. One novelist said that Raven had "the mind of a cad and the pen of an angel."

Author, Guy Debord, was born on this day in 1931. He wrote "Society of the Spectacle", one of the books that influenced the students and workers who participated in the Paris Uprising of 1968.

Sources: Wikipedia, Google and Writer's Almanac

5 On This Day December 29th on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Hippie

Admin
Today in 1170, Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury, is assassinated inside Canterbury Cathedral. He was 52. Many works of literature have since been published on the life of this man turned saint and martyr in the Anglican Church and the Roman Catholic Church.

In 1808, Andrew Johnson was born. He worked as a tailor from a very young age and taught himself how to read and write. He grew up to be the 17th President of the US of America.

Elisabeth of Wied the queen of Romania was born on this date in 1843. She was also a prolific writer who wrote under the pen name of Carmen Sylva.

Almost 300 Lakota Indian men, women and children were slaughtered at Wounded Knee by federal troops on this date in 1890. One of the survivors was Black Elk who later wrote,
"... I can see that something else died there in the bloody mud, and was buried in the blizzard. A people's dream died there. It was a beautiful dream. And I, to whom so great a vision was given in my youth, — you see me now a pitiful old man who has done nothing, for the nation's hoop is broken and scattered. There is no center any longer, and the sacred tree is dead."

English poet, Christina Rossetti dies on this day of cancer, she was 64. She is best known for her long poem Goblin Market, her love poem "Remember", and for the words of what became the popular Christmas carol "In the Bleak Midwinter".

American novelist William Gaddis was born on this day in 1922. He wrote five novels, two of which won National Book Awards.

After suffering a stroke at age 59, Don Marquis, American humorist, journalist and author dies on this date in 1937.

Today on this date Stanley Tookie Williams the III was born in 1953. An early leader of the street gang the Crips and convicted of multiple murders, Tookie was sentenced to death. While in prison he turned his life around and wrote many books for children on the dangers of gangs and gang violence. He was executed in 2005.

Today is the birthday of Paul Rudnick
playwright and screenwriter. He was born on this day in Piscataway Township, New Jersey in 1957. He has written several plays and six screenplays including, "The Stepford Wives."

On this date in 1989 playwright Vaclav Havel was elected president of Czechoslovakia. Once banned and blacklisted under Communist regime he ended the Communist rule after more than 40 years.

In 2003 on this day, Marja Sergina, the last known speaker of the Akkala Sami language died. Akkala Sami was spoken in villages on Russia's Kola Peninsula inhabited by the Sami (sometimes referred to as Laplanders), an ethnic group from Northern Europe who are best known as reindeer herders.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum