free forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Murder of Rowan Ford

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Murder of Rowan Ford on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:46 pm

Lizard

Admin

August 1, 2009

The defense attorney for a Stella man charged with raping and killing 9-year-old Rowan Ford is challenging one of the factors that could allow the death penalty to be imposed if her client is convicted.

Prosecutors said last year they would seek the death penalty against both David Spears and Chris Collings, each of whom is charged with first-degree murder, forcible rape and statutory rape in connection with the death of Ford. Spears was Ford’s stepfather.

Spears’ defense attorney, public defender Cynthia Dryden, recently filed objections to one of the aggravating circumstances that Barry County Prosecutor Johnnie Cox cited in his intent to seek the death penalty.

Dryden, according to online court records, argued that the circumstance of “wantonly vile, horrible or inhuman” is unconstitutionally vague.

Cox said the motion was one of the “standard motions that are filed in every death penalty case.”

That motion likely will be taken up during an Aug. 12 hearing, Cox said.

Spears’ case is to go to trial in July 2010 in Pulaski County on a change of venue. Collings’ case is scheduled for trial in March 2010 in Phelps County.

Investigators believe Ford was abducted early Nov. 3, 2007, from her home in Stella in Newton County, raped and murdered in Barry County, and her body disposed of in McDonald County. The body was found in a sinkhole after a nearly weeklong search by authorities and volunteers.

Authorities say both Spears and Collings have confessed to the crimes...

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/local_story_213212325.html

http://www.areop.com

2 Re: The Murder of Rowan Ford on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Hippie

Admin
Wow. Thanks Lisa. You know how important this story is/was to me. I think I will post her poem today in honor of her.

I am pleased as pie these two men are paying for their horrific crime against this child. I only wish they would be made to suffer the rest of their pitiful lives behind bars. Most of you who know me, know that I think death is the easy way out.

Thanks, Lizard for this update.

3 Re: The Murder of Rowan Ford on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:35 pm

Halo

Getting the Hang of This Place for Sure
Getting the Hang of This Place for Sure
This one is a very, very hard case to read. I'll have to come back and post the her pictures cleaned up and pretty. I have so many pictures of the little ones I post on. This one haunts me tho as she looks so much like my best friends girl who is 8 yo. The resemblance is uncanning, haunting really.

Rest in peace sweetest Rowan....an angel amongst angels.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum